I had an interesting experience today, when I got home after practice. My brother was watching a movie called "Paranormal Activity", and I sat down with him for a few minutes, to see what this movie was all about. I've heard quite a lot about it, (I remember one friend of mine saying it was the honest to god scariest thing she'd ever seen)... but I digress. After about five minutes of watching the film (we were a little over a half hour in I believe) I stood up and declared "This is the stupidest, most fake piece of crap I've ever seen in my life." I mean, the couple is freaking out because the door is moving a little bit, and the plants are blowing around slightly. The part that tipped me over the edge was when their ouija board set on fire. I was like, "really, the board just set on fire on its own." It was the fakest thing I'd seen. There is no way you will convince me to take that movie or any paranormal or ghostly presence seriously. This reminds me of the time in 3rd grade (when I was still in Catholic school) that all of the kids in our grade thought the basement of our church was haunted by the ghost of Bloody Mary or something completely ridiculous like that. Granted, we were gullible 9 year old kids... but still it was an absolutely ridiculous craze. And lo and behold, I just watched a TED Talk on this very subject ...
This Ted Talk in question is by a man named James Randy, and he performs a "fiery takedown of psychic fraud." In it, he talks about how psyhics like Sylvia Browne and John Edward are complete frauds. I totally agree with this, as you might tell by the preceding paragraph. He basically mentions that so called psychics like them are ripping off people who want to try and communicate with their deceased loved ones, and obviously these people have no actual spiritual ability. In fact, Mr. Randi's organization (The James Randi Educational Foundation) is dedicated to uproot these people and educate the public about their fraudulant activity. The funny thing is that the JREF offers a 1 million dollar cash prize to anyone who can demonstrate psychic or paranormal activity. And no professional, except Sylvia Browne(who backed out of the challenge), has attempted this undertaking.
Do you guys have any opinion on this stuff, the supernatural, the paranormal, the weird, the ghoulish...???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm glad someone besides myself thought Paranormal Activity was so bad! It was probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. In my opinion people who have an extremely difficult time overcoming the death of a loved one are willing to believe anything a psychic tells them. Psychics can make the grieving process just a little bit easier, if you can believe them.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I don't believe in psychics but I do believe in ghosts! Haha