A couple weeks ago, when Doc Oc and I were discussing rap music, (as we often do), he mentioned a song to me, called Sly Fox by Nas. I looked it up a few days later, and was surprised by what I heard. I thought it would be your run of the mill rap song, but it was far from that. Nas makes a statement in his song that is essentially completely against Fox news, about how the network has a "secret agenda", and is "always watching". Fox is often referred to as highly liberal and Republican, and some think they often work to help the Republican party in their campaigns and such. Regardless of what you think of Nas, or of Fox news, he is making a very bold statement, and putting himself out there in a way. He is sayingwhat he believes, and is trying to expose Fox news to an audience that might not be completely familiar with their political bias. One verse in particular strikes me as very true:
"They say I'm all about murder-murder and kill-kill
But what about Grindhouse and Kill Bill?
What about Cheney and Halliburton? (Halliburton?)
The backdoor deals
On oil fields
How's NaS the most violent person?"
I like the point he makes is that many people often blame rappers for promoting violence in the youth of America, but Nas says that despite what anyone says, violent in the more mainstream media is worse. Fox produces motion pictures such as Grindhouse and Kill Bill, and that is in some ways, worse damage than anything a rapper could do.

No comments:
Post a Comment